Welcome to SkipIRC!
This wiki is a work in progress. We're going to enhance it as time permits.
May 10, 2023 - Welcome The_Spider_Queen, age update
SkipIRC welcomes The_Spider_Queen, our newest network operator. The_Spider_Queen is licensing JS on the SCP Wiki and a chat halfop in #site19.
As of today, our age requirement has reached 18 (or the age of majority in your jurisdiction, whichever is greater.) This means that the rolling age increase has concluded.
March 11, 2023 - Welcome, Hex and Marcy!
SkipIRC welcomes Hex and Marcy, our two newest network operators. Marcy is a vice captain of the SCP Wiki Crit team and can often be found offering feedback in #thecritters, and Hex is a member of MAST and runs our web IRC instances. (More news on that coming soon!)
January 12, 2023 - SkipIRC is recruiting network operators!
Several operators are no longer able to devote a significant amount of time to the network for various reasons, so we're recruiting new operators.
Qualifications, a la RFC 2119:
- MUST have at least 6 months experience as either a SkipIRC user or a member of the SCP community.
- MUST be at least 18 and a legal adult in their jurisdiction
- MUST be able to comport themselves in a patient and professional manner
- MUST NOT currently be banned from SkipIRC, #site19 or the SCP Wiki
- SHOULD have prior experience either as SCP Wiki staff, SCP chat staff, or an IRC operator on another network
- SHOULD be familiar with IRC services
- SHOULD be familiar with the basics of the SCP Wiki and questions that users and prospective typically ask in #site17 and #help. (While SkipIRC is independent of the SCP Wiki, SkipIRC staff frequently provide basic assistance when SCP staff members are unavailable.)
If you're interested, please contact Kufat on SkipIRC or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
October 30, 2022 - VPN policy changes under test
After user requests, we've implemented a new VPN policy on one of SkipIRC's three primary servers. Access over VPNs will be allowed for users who are logging into registered SkipIRC accounts. Users who wish to connect via VPN but who don't yet have a registered account may either register an account over a different connection (e.g. mobile, school, work, or just switching off the VPN) or email email@example.com with their desired nickname and network staff will register it for them and assign a temporary password.
This is currently active on safe.oh.us.irc.scpwiki.com. Be sure to enable SSL and connect to port 6697, and be sure to have SASL login enabled.
Additional documentation will be written when we're confident that this change is production-ready. For now, please consider it to be in open beta.
June 14, 2022 - Brief SSL Outage
Due to an issue with certbot, SSL connectivity to SkipIRC was briefly unavailable. This has been resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you to Hexick for reporting the issue.
June 9, 2022 - Server Upgrades Complete
Thanks for your patience, and thanks for using SkipIRC!